Types of Financial Aid

Don't let the cost of an education keep you from realizing your academic goals. If cost is a concern for you, our Office of Financial Aid is here to assist you.

  1. First Thing's First - File Your FAFSA

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the federal financial aid application that must be completed by anyone seeking federal or state financial assistance from an educational institution in the U.S. Our school code is 001133. This form must be submitted each academic year.

  2. Grants and Other Assistance

    PACE Promise

    Students transferring into the Bachelor's Degree for Professionals program having graduated from a partnered PACE program at a California Community College are eligible to receive a $100 per credit reduction on tuition. Students must enroll full-time to receive this reduction. This award cannot be combined with the Corporate Partnership Scholarship or Local Government Scholarship.

    Veterans Benefits

    Cal Lutheran is a Yellow Ribbon University. Students who may be eligible for veteran's benefits should contact their local Veteran's Affairs Office or contact Cal Lutheran's Office of Veteran Resources for specific information.

    Employer Tuition Assistance Programs

    Many companies offer tuition assistance to employees who participate in work-related or degree-oriented college programs. We provide a deferred payment option (up to six weeks after the end of the term) for students who take advantage of their company's tuition reimbursement opportunities.  Please see more information on our webpage for Employer Tuition Assistance Programs.

    Employer Discount

    Cal Lutheran has partnered with local organizations to offer a discount to their employees. If you are affiliated with one of the organizations listed here, you are eligible to receive a $100 per credit scholarship (future terms only).Learn more

    Cal Grants

    A Cal Grant may be available to eligible California residents who are recent California high school graduates, based on family income, assets and GPA. A minimum of three units per term are required. A FAFSA form and a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form must be filed by March 2.

    Federal Pell Grant Program

    Under the Federal Pell Grant program, eligibility will be determined based on the information submitted on the FAFSA. This grant is awarded to students with high financial need.

  3. Federal and Private Loans

    Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

    Eligibility for the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is determined by the FAFSA and is based on need. The government pays the interest while the student is in school. A student may be eligible to borrow up to the annual maximum of $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores and $5,500 for juniors and seniors. Students must be enrolled at least half time (three or more units) to receive a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan.

    Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

    Eligibility for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is determined by the FAFSA and is not need based. If you are considered an independent student based on your FAFSA application, the annual award is $6,000 per year for freshmen and sophomores, and $7,000 for juniors and seniors. Interest accrues on this loan while the student is in school. Students must be enrolled at least half time (three units or more per term) to receive a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Eligibility will be determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

    Alternative/Private Loans

    Students should always utilize any awarded Federal Direct Loans prior to seeking an Alternative Loan. Interest rates on alternative loans are often much higher than the Federal Direct Loan rates. Eligibility is determined by the lender. Alternative/Private Educational Loans may only be taken out for up to the cost of attendance (less any financial aid received) as defined by the Office of Financial Aid.